Are you riding the micro-moment wave?
Once upon a time, my grandmother would watch television always with a small notepad and pencil within easy reach. Why? So she could quickly jot down the 800-number of products she saw on TV and wanted to buy.
Such impulses were the early origins of what we now know as micro-moments – and with the penetration of smartphones within the US now exceeding 64%, micro-moments are more actionable than ever. According to a recent “Think with Google” report, consider the following:
- 66% of smartphone users turn to their phone to look up something they saw in a TV commercial;
- 82% of smartphone users used their phone when looking for a local business;
- 91% of smartphone users turn to their phone for ideas while doing a task;
- 82% of smartphone users consult their phones while in a store deciding what to buy.
To put this in a more visual context, watch this video about micro-moments:
So what are some of the take-aways of this trend?
- Mobile-friendly websites: if you’ve been postponing a website redesign wait no longer. And when you pull the trigger, be sure the design incorporates responsive technology to be consistent from platform to platform;
- Content is king: to capture the actionable micro-moments relevant to your products and services, be sure your website is well-stocked with SEO-optimized content on how to accomplish tasks, compare features and benefits and find your locations easily on the smaller screen of mobile devices;
- Use geo-location: the beauty of mobile devices is the inherent geo-location that is built in. If prospects are searching for what you offer and they are within a radius of your location, your ad should be appearing within the apps your prospects are already using.
It’s a digital world and if your business is not mobile-friendly, you are leaving business on the table. The good news? Implementing mobile-friendly marketing solutions doesn’t have to break the bank. All it takes is a little strategic planning and “thoughtful execution” and your business can ride the wave of the micro-moments your prospects are generating right now.